Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Sketch to Layout - modifying a sketch

Modification of sketches is something I do frequently.

I always start with a sketch that more or less matches my photo sizes and/or photo counts.

Today's layouts are based on a sketch that I modified to get to where I needed to be with the layout. I have four photos for one of the layouts, but only two for the other. My original idea was to use the same general sketch to accomplish both.

This is the original sketch, taken from Pamela's World of Scrap:


My first modification kept the same number of photos, but modified size a bit and placement.  I also framed the layout by shrinking it to 11 by 11 and placing it on a piece of 12 by 12 kraft cardstock.

This first one uses three photos that are 3.5 by 3.5 down one side and a larger 5 x 7 photo on the right:


The second layout gets modified more heavily still from the sketch. This one is probably more of a modification of the first layout than of the original sketch...for this second one, I used a 4 x 6 photo on the left, a 5 x 7 on the right, and moved the journaling and embellishments around a bit to fit the space:

With this progression its easier to see how a sketch can be a good starting place, but doesn't need to be followed rigidly to get to a great layout.

Happy Wednesday, everyone!

No comments: