Pages

Thursday, July 25, 2013

I looked at my blog the other day and I was so…disappointed…I guess that is the right word.

You see, I’ve had an identity crisis of sorts.

I was working so hard to be PUBLISHED or on a DESIGN TEAM…and I lost my focus and…well…around Christmas, it all felt so forced and not fun.

So I took an unscheduled leave of absence from blogging.

Not so much from art or scrapbooking, but from blogging about art and scrapbooking.

I needed some time to figure out WHY I do what I do, to dabble a bit in some things OUT of the spotlight of my blog and get my focus back.

So…today I’m restarting…perhaps with fewer posts a week. I’m thinking maybe two or three vs. the 5 or 6 I used to do.

I also took some time to take a class or two, go on a scrapbook trip, and figure out what it is I’m really trying to accomplish as an artist…who I am as an artist….

Who I am as an artist...well…I figured out what I WASN’T as an artist very very fast, through my experimental break.

I am not a put-lots-of-products on one page artist. Using huge clusters of products led me to design delimas I couldn’t get over. For me the art is not in how many clusters and layers and dimension I can put on my page. It is about the story and my feelings and my less than adequate pictures…which leads me to…

I am NOT about perfect pictures. Are you kidding me? I am lucky I get ANY pictures of my kids and husband that are not filled with fake horrible smiles and random weird posing. If I can capture the moment and there is not some cheesy-faced photo-bomb included, I’m a happy girl. If they turn out to be clear shots, well composed and well lit, it’s a TOTAL BONUS!

I’m not about a single picture in the middle kind of girl. I cram many many photos on my pages and I like it that way.

I don’t do much pink…or purple…or gold metallic…or much in the way of flowers…

My 11th commandment is “Thou shalt not use glitter on thy projects.” Its not IN me…I abandoned my 80’s glam in the 90’s. Plus its SOOOOO MESSY! so…there ya go.

I stamp very very little and I never emboss…see the comments on the glitter…too messy.

I’m not about the hottest lines. Ok. That is a total lie. I LOVE the new stuff…I keep track of it .I can tell you manufacturers by touching the paper and looking at the colors. And I LOVE new stuff…but I’m curbing my enthusiasm for buying ALL of the latest new things and trying for just a FEW of them.

I’m not mixed media…Ok, that is kind of a lie too. I AM mixed media in the sense that I have been exploring gellatos, water colors, stencils, ink, and different mediums. However, you aren’t going to see a ton of mixed media layers, and all that beautiful work that most mixed media artist use. First of all, I don’t have the patience for it and second of all…well…it can be messy…do you see a trend here with the messy?

Sooo….now that I have climbed the mountain and gotten my “enlightenment” I’m ready again to do some sharing and posting…

Next up, some layouts I've been hoarding that have are filled with pictures, older products and fun stuff...oh, and I'm totally going to stash-bust some where in this process. I think I'll do a "fast" but I gotta  time that right.

Until next time...


Peace, ya’ll!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you're back! :)

Meghann Andrew said...

Good to see you here! Awesome that you took some time to think about your style. That's what it is all about! Stay true to yourself.