Thursday, June 07, 2012

What I'm Working On...

I’ve been dying, dying, dying to show you what I’ve been up to, but time is always a factor.

When I am faced with an hour or two of free time, do I do the work? Or…do I photograph and blog? What a decision.

Today, photos and blogging won.

It hit me pretty hard about two months ago that my oldest child would be heading to kindergarten this coming fall – what with lotteries and registration and all, it became an event I couldn’t ignore. He’s going to REAL school.

One thing about all the school pictures and school papers that paralyzes me has been considering what to do with all that paper while still trying to preserve the memories and stories related to school. My child has already been to 4 years of preschool and we have tons of papers built up. What happens when he’s 18? YIPES!

And then there is the fact that I have not one, but TWO boys to do this for. I really wanted something the same/similar for Noah.

So, I have been on the prowl for solutions to my problem, ideally getting 14 years of school into a single album with some meaningful record of the events of each year, a record of the cherished/dreaded school pictures (hard to scrap, these pictures!) and maybe a sampling of the work from each year.

In my searches, I’ve come across lots of options from Project Life to pre-made albums to yearly mini albums.

It’s no secret that I’m a fan of sketches. I use them for almost every single layout I do. I thought, SURELY one of my sketch resources would have an option for me…and I found JUST what I needed on Valerie Salmon’s Got Sketch blog.

They have a really amazing downloadable workshop called Ultimate School Album. Its AMAZING and flexible and has made the production of school albums for my boys super easy and enjoyable. In addition to the page sketches, there are printables to track your child’s favorites, friends, and handwriting  and some printable embellishments and other goodies.

There is a recommended supply list that uses the DCWV Grade School Paper Stack:


and the Brights Cardstock Stack.


Honestly, I felt those were a little too feminine for my rough and tumble boys…plus I wanted a blue/orange/yellow/red sort of color scheme.

After tossing around a number of paper lines and combos of paper lines, I decided to use American Craft Chap and some of the papers from Echo Park’s A Boy’s Life plus raid my scrap bin to create custom little additions:


I decided to do two of each layout, exactly the same and put them into American Crafts Modern Albums. Basically two identical albums to be filled as we hit the right years in school. Here is what I’ve accomplished so far…the white you see is matting for eventual photos.





Oh, and just in case you are interested in doing your own version , I saw on the Got Sketch? blog that they were offering the Ultimate School Album at 40% off until June 10th. How awesome is that!?!?!?

Peace, ya'll!

1 comment:

Meghann said...

Awesome! You are really on top of this!