Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Bowling Pins and Tree Tops - aka How to Make a Turkey Place Card

Counterfeit Kit Challenge Blog posted a really cool challenge to use Scrapbook's Etc's Craft It Forward November project with your November Counterfeit Kit.

My plan was to provide something for the tablescape at my Mother In Law's for our Thanksgiving meal. She does ALL the cooking (I do some sides, but the lion's share of the work is done by her and so I wanted to do something nice!). PLUS she has an amazing table - complete with candles and centerpieces.

I was pretty sure that the placemat idea wasn't going to be where I went, but I toyed around with some ideas and combos anyway. I couldn't come up with anything that I thought would be an enhancement to her table at all.

So, I went another route - place CARDS. And then went even further...WTIH CANDY! Since I chose fall colors for my November Counterfeit Kit, I had the perfect set of supplies already assembled.

This is what I came up with for the final project.

Supplies:
Largest tree top from Maya Road Trees Mini Chipboard set
Kraft Cardstock
Apple Cheddar Soup Milk Printed Paper from Jillibean Soup
Pasta Fagioli Shell Macaroni Printed Paper from Jillibean Soup
Orange Felt
Scrap Red Cardstock
Letter Stickers
Pencil
Stapler/staples
Candy (or bag filler of your choice)
Cello Bags
Adhesive

Using a tree top from my Maya Road Trees Mini chipboard set, I traced "feathers" onto the Pasta Fagioli Shell Macaroni from Jillibean Soup paper. (I actually folded this paper over so that I could cut two at a time from one tracing of the "tree".)



Next, I cut six 4" x 4 1/2" rectangles from the Paper Bag Cardstock.


Using the woodgrain side of my Apple Cheddar Soup Milk paper from Jillibean Soup, I freehanded some turkey "bodies" that were really more like bowling pins.


Then cut some small felt triangles from left over felt (Here's one time being a scrap crap pack rat worked in my favor!):


And then finally, free-hand cut some of those little red dangly thingies from some scrap red cardstock:


Now, for assembly! First, put the red dangly thingie (you like my technical term?) on the bowling pin, in the general "face" area. (this tutorial sounds so strange!):


Put on the orange felt "beaks." I used a liquid quick drying adhesive for that part. Affix a bowling pin to a tree top:


In the bottom right corner of the LONG side (aka 4 1/2" side) of each kraft rectangle, I put a name for each guest.


Then folded them in half, lengthwise:


Place a few pieces of candy in a cello bag, roll the top, place the folded cardstock over the rolled bag and staple to secure:


THEN, put some adhesive on the back bottom (the BUTT) of the turkey, and attach as you see fit to the stapled card, making sure you cover the staple. Mine are off center because I like the angle. Also, I tried eyes on these things and they just looked weird...so, my turkeys are "artistic" and have no eyes.


Kinda fun!



Peace, ya'll!

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Those are adorable. :)

Angela (Toucan Scraps) said...

great project

Helen said...

These are really cute - and a great tute aswell