Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Learnin' Some Stuff

Inspiration is everywhere, literally. Most especially on these amazing little blog things.

Bloggers are sharers, always willing to give you something to think about, something to create, something to cook, something to discuss at the dinner table, something to inspire.

For example, my sweet friend Kai has shared an award with me. (THANK YO SO MUCH KAI!!!)


You have been TAGGED and want to participate? Then create a post where you post the 'LOVE BLOG' image. You should also blog the person’s link that gave you the award and inform her/him that you accept the award. You then choose 3 - 5 favourite blogs which you also link in your post, then inform each blogger that they have been tagged.

Dear bloggers: The aim of this action is that we bring unknown, good blogs to light, so I would ask you not to blog fellow bloggers that already have 3,000 followers.

I would give a speech, but honestly, I've not got enough interesting things to say in a speech.

Kai has told me I don't have to participate in the traditional way, but I do want to share some of the things I've gotten from the blog-sphere lately. Some of these blogs have a bunch of readers...and others do not. I'm just content that they share their knowledge with me and I get to learn a few things.

(To get to the tutorial mentioned, just click on the hyper-linked name of the blog.)

First up, learn how to make a gift bow from magazines or maps from How About Orange. This blog always has interesting things to share. I'm very much in love with her style.


Learn how to frost a cake from Whisk Kid. Whisk Kid assumes I know NOTHING about baking and presents lots of luscious ideas in a way that I understand. Its so appreciated! And I'm also amazed at that fact that she's young enough to be my child, er....neice.


You can learn how to make these ADORABLE Turtle Ice Box Cookies (or Lions or super cute purple penguins) from Diamonds For Dessert. I'm particularly entranced with her drawing the steps instead of showing in photos:



American Crafts has an awesome tutorial on how to make headbands using some of their excellent products. I'm thinking of branching in this direction to make a gift for a friend who's having a little girl very soon.


Studio Calico, always a great source for tutorials on craft and scrapbooking products, has this amazing tutorial on how to put sparkle in the eyes of your photos. THIS I found supremely useful!


Nancy Doren, who is a super-duper sharer, shares some of her best-found secrets for paper crafting. Nancy, does LOTS of awesome informational posts for lovers of paper craft, fashion, music and graphic art. Her blog is a plethora of inspiration.


And most recently, I've been super inspired to create my own paper for crafting using the tutorial on water colors by Patti, aka Colored Sprinkle Girl. She makes me want to dump every product in my studio and just use white paper and water colors!


in other news, I've felt the urge to purge - unnecessary stuff, that is. As a first start, I've purged all blogs that have 1) not posted in 6 months (or more!) or 2) no longer inspire me. The result is that I've purged 39 blogs from my reader. I'm not sure if I'm done, but I've gone as far as I care to today.

BUT it makes me wonder...what good blogs are out there? Do you have any recommendation for blogs that are inspiring you? Music, writing, crafting, scrapbooking, art, movies, whatever...what'cha looking at these days?

Peace, ya'll!!

4 comments:

nancy said...

Aw, thanks, Felecia!! You're too kind. :)

I too am waaaay inspired by Patty!! She's amazing with her watercolors!

Patty said...

Um, I am in love with that map bow!!!! eeek.

You guys all inspire me. I have been finding more and more blogs and sites that inspire me. Perhaps I shall share on my blog this week:)

cate said...

thanks for sharing some great links!

I recently purged almost 100 blogs just by deleting ones that hadn't been updated in one month or longer... and I've gone even further and chosen 50 blogs that I enjoy reading (from 300+), and read them first, and read the rest if I want or mark as read... it's making such a difference to my blog reading time!

shaina said...

i totally feel the need to do some blog purging. gonna do some this afternoon i think! thanks for the idea.

love this post!