Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Uberlist

Rachel posted a little about The Uberlist…it sounded so intriguing…so I googled it, of course!

Rather than a list of resolutions, intentions or goals, it is simply a very expansive To Do list…I love To Do lists…

Here is what it boils down to:

The idea is to make a to do list for the coming year with as many items as the number of the year – so for 2010, there would be 110 items. Some things are everyday tasks, some are bigger, some are things you would (should) be doing anyway and others are stretch goals, some are wants/wishes/hoped-fors and some are have tos.

If you want to start your own, it is essentially a three part process:

1) Choose 110 tasks – they should be simple, clear and measurable to the extend that you could say “Done” or “Not done” You may want to break big huge tasks into more easily accomplished steps. For example, in the case of my husband’s recent office move, instead of saying “unpack office boxes” he could say, “Unpack book box and shelve” or something like that.

2) Organize and categorize – this may be an optional step for some…but it seems to me that my goals tend to run in themes and that keeping like items together is a necessity to good organization. It makes it WAY easier to check things OFF a To Do list if you see them all in one spot.

3) Share your list. Or post your list. Or tape your list to the fridge. This accomplishes two things…it is forever in front of you to remind you what’s on it and public lists are harder to abandon.
On other thing…you might want to set a date with yourself to regularly review progress on your list…like…once a month or something.

I've been giving this a try rather than broad sweeping goals this Year…who knows! I might actually accomplish something, here!

I've got my list only about 1/2 way done...(I know its February!!!!)

The good thing is that there are already some things checked off the list!

WOOHOO!!!

So...what-cha think?

Peace, Everyone!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Yay! I've only got about 50 items on my list so far, and some of them I know I won't get to do...but it's all good! I love putting little adventuresome things on my list to remind me to move outside my comfort zone from time to time.

So this year I'm definitely going to ride a train with my son and take him to visit Shedd Aquarium. I'm also going to get a new pair of glasses and organize my digital photos. A little bit of fun, a little bit of inspiration, and a little bit of work/necessity.

p.s. I also cheat sometimes and write down things I've already done just so that I can cross them off.
It's a slacker's version of feeling a sense of accomplishment. :)

**** April **** said...

I like the idea of this but ... causing me STRESS to create ANOTHER list of things to do... ha ha.. NO THANKS! ha ha