Thursday, December 10, 2009

Patience

I don’t apparently have a bunch of it when it comes to myself and my deadlines and my to do lists and my desires…

Huh…

Go figure…I’m type A!

But we all knew that, didn’t we?

So..babies and Christmas and work and home repairs and time itself (as in I can only be on my feet so much of it and there are only so many minutes in a day to cram everything) have all conspired against my plans and I’m now in a place where patience and kindness to myself are no long optional…

Firstly, Christmas shopping is more or less done – as I’ve already said. However the wrapping…not so much. I have tons to wrap and to box and to ship and…well…its just a big ole pile in the middle of my office. Patience...it will get done...even if mom has to help me when she gets here.

While I’m on the topic, piles of stuff are one more thing I have no patience with!

Secondly, babies…ours is coming. Whether or not I’m ready…so…I printed a list of things I will be bringing to the hospital…is my bag packed? Nope. Am I even sure I know where everything on that list IS in my house right now? Nope…so…I guess that is a mental pile in need of some packing to relieve it. Patience...it will get done...even if my husband has to come back to the house AFTER our little bundle gets here to pack my things.

Work…well…lets just say that I have not been as productive as I’d hoped…and that the project I’m working on has been more involved than I originally anticipated…is it done? Nope…Patience...it may have to be finished by somebody else while I’m out on leave…

And lastly – home repairs….Which sounds ominous and I guess is sort of. In an effort to help me out, my husband was in the attic getting things down and putting things up when I heard a crash…you guessed it, he put his foot through the ceiling accidently. Enter contractors. The hole is fixed…but I had hoped it would be completely fixed (aka, ceiling skimmed and painted) this week so I could have the housekeeping company come next week and deep clean my house before my mom and dad get here…cuz you know I’m not deep cleaning my house in my state! Anyway…the drywall is done, but the skim/paint part won’t be DONE until next week…and there is no point in deep cleaning when there will be construction in the house…sigh. Patience...my mom and dad don't care if my ceiling is a mess...and they also don't care if I deep cleaned as long as they have clean sheets and towels.

And lets not forget that I've embarked on a couple of scrapbooking adventures this December - most notably the December Daily album. December daily is being done in my notebooks…I will be updating the journal cards this weekend. BUT the pictures I’ve been taking will all be developed professionally (and not on my less-than-optimal printer), so the bulk of the picture pasting will have to happen in January. Perhaps I’ll share some of the pics and their accompanying journaling sans December Daily pages here…When I find the time…

Here's the deal.

I have been very excited that we knew what day our little bundle was going to arrive due to doctor’s recommendations. Its great to know when to call the insurance company, that you can plan around some things, when to have long-distance relatives arrive…you get the gist. Its much easier to know the date and plan around it than it is to hurry everything up and spend time waiting for the little joy to make an appearance.

But while God has allowed me to schedule some things, He has allowed other events in my life these last few weeks to make it clear that I am not in control. WHAT!?!?!? I'm not in control...huh...what a concept.

I guess He’s going to make sure I learn patience and how to be gentle with myself one way or another…

As if sending me two boy children wouldn’t eventually teach me that anyway!


HA!

Peace, ya’ll!!!

4 comments:

Kim said...

Don't worry, the patience will come with boys. I only have one, but that boy is so demanding. I tease him all the time that if he was born first he would be an only child! lol

Sarabeth Hudson said...

I am lacking in the patience department myself these days! My poor family.

Funny, though, how often God reminds me I'm not in control. Just when I think I've got everything going just the way I wanted....BOOM! Big Fat Reminder from Him!!! Us type A's need to be reminded from time to time, I guess. Hope you are feeling well! And yes, things will get done.....eventually :)

Enjoy the Ride said...

I have a similar issue... but I don't refer to it as patience, but more as... Simplify. If you don't have time to do ALL the things you want to do, pick the top three most important. The rest, you just let go. I can't say I'm good at this, but I'm working toward not needing to be such a taskmaster... and that it's okay to not get everything done on your list. At this time of year, especially with your baby on the way... simplify. Gift boxes and gift bags that are already decorated... no bows... and, as you've already indicated, some stuff is out of your control. And you're right, your mom and dad are there for your, not for your clean house. HUGS!

MaryC said...

Oh, it doesn't matter what gender the children are...trust me. When you are a parent, you can't really be in control. Damage control maybe, but nothing else.
Merry Christmas, Mommy of two.