Pages

Friday, November 20, 2009

All I want for Christmas…



I read an interesting book called Gilead some time ago and the narrator of the story is a third generation pastor. He talks a lot about how tradition ties one generation to the next. I too believe that our traditions are the fabric upon which our families stand. Its so important to remember where you came from.

I’ve got a post in the works for next week about Thanksgiving’s past and where my idea of “our” family traditions have come from…what has stayed constant and what has changed dramatically over the years, what I have a huge, full heart of love for and what I wish I didn’t ever have to remember.

But sadly, my memories are clouded, uncertain and full of gaps. I’ve got some very clear memories, but they tend to be moments – bits from here and there. And don’t happen to be very fluid…Doesn't that seem a little strange...I've got very firm ideas about what Thanksgiving is about...yet my memories are not as solid as my beliefs!!!

I scoured the photos I’ve got available to see if anything jumped out at me from Thanksgivings past and realized I have very few pictures of my childhood to jog my memories.

So…I asked my mom for one and only one thing for Christmas – pictures. I would like pictures of my childhood, the moments, the craziness, the fun, the love, teh little things that seemed important enough to take photos of. I would like to see photos of my parents wedding, my grandparents anniversary celebrations, Christmases past and those moments that can only be remembered when you look upon a lovely 3 by 3 photo and something dawns on your heart.

I long to remember some of those things…and to share them with my boys…I am ready to have the “family photos” entrusted to me for scrapping and safe-keeping.

It seems a simple request, right? I’m a simple woman – I don’t need expensive, extravagant or copious gifts…I just want something simple that ties me to the past and to the future.

No pressure Mom…but all I want for Christmas are my memories! HA!

How about you? What is the one thing you want under your tree?

Peace, ya’ll!!!

4 comments:

MOM said...

Wish we were driving for sure now!

28 days - hummmmmmmmmm

Thanks - first born :)

Cheri said...

It's a beautiful thought and a beautiful wish. My Mom died 11 years ago at the tender age of 56 from kidney cancer. I did manage to get all the photos (unfortunately not before they were damaged in a flood). I have created a remembrance photobook (digitally) and had copies printed for all my siblings. Now I'm working on scanning all those old photos so everyone can have them.

sharyncarlson said...

I love what you've written here about traditions and the value of old photos. I am so with you, I would take a few heritage photos over a fancy gift any day. I hope your Christmas wish comes true!

**** April **** said...

I remember when my mom's mom (my Mee mee) was still alive and she asked me what I wanted for Christmas one year. I told her how I wanted copies of her recipes that I loved so very much. And that is one of my MOST treasured Christmas gifts ever. I, too, feel like I remember bits and pieces of how things are SUPPOSED to be at holidays but not one complete vivid memory. IT stinks!