Pages

Saturday, July 04, 2009

Let Freedom Ring



Now that I reside in North Carolina, I’ve become fascinated with some of the history.

One of the neatest things I’ve discovered is that North Carolina was the first of the colonies to take official action declaring independence from England. They authorized their Continental Congressional delegates to vote for independence on April 12, 1776.

The Declaration of Independence is a surprisingly modern document – timeless. As I read, I drew parallels with the modern age I could not have imagined our founding fathers would anticipate.

The LA Times blog Top of the Ticket states:
The United States' Declaration of Independence may well be the most cited yet least read or understood document in American history.

Oh, how I do agree…

Especially the part about how all men are created equal…we all know that part, right?

The blog goes on to say:

Some have suggested over the years that each responsible U.S. citizen should take the occasion of the Nation's birthday to read that precious document every year, something like pausing at Thanksgiving to give thanks or at New Year's to ponder what's past and ahead.

I agree with this too…

You can have a read of the text here.

And even look at a side-by side comparison of the versions here.

There is a readable image of the document here.

And if you want to see what it looks like today, try here.

Actually, if you want to really take a good browse through all things US History, this site is fabulous. http://www.ushistory.org/

Happy Independence Day, ya’ll!

Let Freedom Ring

1 comment:

Gina said...

You really did your research, Felicia. I hope you and your sweet family had a great fourth!