Friday, April 03, 2009

Stress-related severe headache…

So…I thought perhaps that one month after my last post would be a good time for me to let you all know that I am alive and kickin’

Its been a whirlwind of a month.

I was in Marion South Carolina and then had a whole bunch of stuff happen at work that resulted in far too many hours at work and far too few with my family and doing other things I love – like blogging!

My speedy little life came to a screeching halt a week ago with a fun little thing the doctors call a Stress-Related Severe Headache. Its like a migraine – in that it causes nausea, visual halos, aversion to smells and noises, the need to be way warmer or way cooler, the need to lay very, very still …its essentially a hard roadblock to all stimulus input.

And, for me…an ENORMOUS red flashing light with sirens that my life has gotten out of control – way, way, way out of control.

So…On Friday, I ended up a whimpering mess in my bed, desperately waiting for medication to take hold of the screaming banshee of a headache in my head and trying very hard not to think about all the ways I’ve abused my body, mind and spirit since January. It essentially boils down to this: If I work that hard, and I don’t exercise, and I eat crappy food, and I don’t stay tuned into God, if I get my life that far out of balance, then I’m in deep trouble. And God was kind enough to give me this headache condition as an indicator when my life is out of whack. And its good that I heard him this time…because if I could possibly have ignored this, then I shudder to think of what God would have allowed to happen NEXT to get me back on track.

So…the great thing about it is that I’ve been able to take a pause at work. I’m also working a different schedule that gets me home in the afternoons to do some things and keep my life at home on track. It’s a much better place. It has exercise and really good food cooked by my own hands.

The unfortunate thing is that the project that started all of this in the first place was extended to the end of June and I have to see it out to the end. Darn this whole being a responsible adult thing…I could really use a few weeks of kindergarten, ya know?

In the mean time, I AM here, I’m still reading all of YOUR blogs and I will be keeping better track of my blog.

Yea for Stress Related Severe Headaches…

Peace, Ya’ll!!

3 comments:

Perky Nihilist said...

In our house we believe that migraines are God's way of telling you you're doing too much. If you won't slow yourself down then your body will often step in. I hate getting those.

Sounds like your body has a similar safety-switch.

Sorry things have been so hectic for you. Hope the new schedule makes a big difference.

MaryC said...

If you are not taking care of yourself, you are unable to take care of others. I am sorry you are feeling worn down but I am happy that you are taking care of that.
Blessings, Chickie!

**** April **** said...

OH girl ((((HUGS)))) I've been there... many times! I feel for you. We'll hold you in prayer and hope that the time goes fast to June. Big hugs and I won't say chin up -- because being bowed in prayer would look weird with your chin up. :)