Wednesday, April 08, 2009

25 Things That Are "Back"

I got a link to an article called 25 Good Things About Bad Times.

I thought that it would be an interesting article on getting creative with pasta or something. Instead I was a bit alarmed to find out that its how some things are back in style because of the recession. I was actually appalled at the implication that these things were ever OUT of style with parents.

Here are some of the highlights:

Manners are back in style – because of the Obamas and Reece Witherspoon???? Manners are suddenly back in style because we have a new president and a perky actress decided it should be so? And when exactly did good manners go out of style? Was there a time when it was ok for us to teach our children to be rude?

Money-smart youngsters – again, it takes a recession to teach our children to be wise with their money? I don’t know about anyone else, but I learned how to save some, spend some and give some at my own parents feet as a very small child. When did being smart about money go out of vogue so that it could come back into vogue???

Greed is out – really? Ok…so…as a child of the “big 80’s” I was under the impression that greed went out with big hair and huge shoulder pads 20 years ago. However I was quickly corrected when someone pointed out that Paris Hilton is a celebrity for no other reason besides being rich and that shows like “Super Sweet 16” and “Cribs” glorify ostentatious displays of wealth unwisely spent on self-indulgence to the youth of America…so…I guess all I have to say about that is I’m so glad that greed is now “out.”

Helping others is a new focus – a new focus? Did we stop helping others as a culture, as a nation? And why, oh, why does it take a recession to help us focus on helping other people. It makes far more sense that we would want to help others when we were flush with cash. BUT perhaps this is valid because for the first time in a very long time we all know somebody who is just barely making ends meet if at all. For the first time in probably 20 years, we have people living next door or across the street who are suddenly out of a job or who have taken huge hits in their income and it became real. Still, it’s a shame that it takes hitting so close to home for us to pay attention to the fact that there are a lot of people out there that need a hand and that a lot of people out there are mightily blessed to help. Although, I do draw the line at my tax dollars bailing out men who’s homes are the same size as my entire neighborhood. Those folks don’t deserve my helping hand or my tax dollars.

So…you get the idea.

What are your thoughts?

Peace, ya’ll!

1 comment:

MaryC said...

My thoughts are these:
Who are these stinkin' yahoos to tell me what is in and out of style in the first place. To me, living your life is mostly trying really hard to be a good person. Being a good person involves lots of things including good manners, not being greedy, helping others and using money wisely.
It also means being kind when you really feel like railing somebody's stupidity.
So in the spirit of the good person, I am so happy some, uninformed folks in the rest of the world have decided to play along...even though the fore-mentioned items are what got them into bad times in the first place.
And, I will refrain from saying I told you so.
Love Ya' Felecia!
Mary