Thursday, January 01, 2009

One Little Word.

Many of you know about One Little Word, either from my last post, or from Ali.

My word for 2008 was RENEW.

In some sense, I have accomplished the things I set out to do, and in some sense NOT. I certainly applied more energy and importance to the things that matter to me in 2008. I also discovered that PROCESS was a huge part of my 2008. Walking things out in steady (sometimes boring!) steps to get from there to here.

Honestly, I think I could really manage another year of RENEW. But its time for a new word and a new focus.

The word I’ve chosen for this year is EMBRACE.

em.brace 
1. to take or receive gladly or eagerly; accept willingly
2. to avail oneself of
3. to adopt
4. to take in with the eye or the mind.
5. to encircle; surround; enclose.
6. to include or contain:

I am particularly fond of “to take in with the eye or the mind” and “to take or receive or eagerly”

After the little rant about “purge” yesterday, this may be a confusing departure, but let me explain.

In my little tizzy fit yesterday, I realized that my control-freak nature is really an issue. I spend entirely too much of my life fighting against the very things that God brings into my life. I spend a lot of time on “should” and “going to” instead of just “do” and “be.”

And so, I’ve decided to embrace the things that God places before me, rather than focusing on what I should or should not do, think, be, feel, act. I’m ready to accept and receive and be open to things.

Now, I’m a strong willed girl – a girl of action…so I needed an active word. EMBRACE is such an active word, but its positive in nature and accepting in its stature. It takes the stance that what will be will be, but does not absolve me from taking actions. I guess the key is that instead of holding things at arms length, or holding myself separate from them, I will be encompassing them, eagerly accepting them, taking things in and processing.

I’m so excited!!!

1 comment:

Sarabeth Hudson said...

Makes me think of the study I'm beginning in my life group - Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World. We are a bunch of 'Marthas', aren't we?

So I picked my 'one little word'...challenge. I'm going to challenge myself on a number of levels, but the things I've specifically committed to are: physically - I am going to challenge myself to complete a sprint triathlon in September that consists of 500 yard swim, 17 mile bike ride, 5K run! Yikes! I'm also going to challenge myself to love those God has placed in my life that are difficult to love. One person in particular that I have in mind - boy this is going to be a tough one, but I'm going to try! I'm sure I'll come up with more specifics, but really these are enough to get me started and keep me busy for a while! <3