Friday, August 01, 2008

How do YOU do it?

I was reading THIS about Kelly Ripa and thought to myself that I am absolutely amazed at what this woman can handle! I think if you have three jobs, three kids and a hubby, SOMETHING must give, right?

How does she manage all of this stuff? Who cleans her house? Laundry? How about exercise? Reading? Sleep? Hobbies? How much does her personal assistant handle? Does she have secretary? What does she turn over to somebody else so she can do these things? And how did she decide which things to do and which things to turn over? And how did she find reliable help to make this kind of life-style possible?

I know in my life, my ONE job, my ONE child and my hubby can be a lot to dish up on one plate. To be sure multiple kids are sometimes easier than one because they entertain each other.

Most likely at least one of her jobs gets her a daily hair-dresser, make-up artist, personal assistant, secretary or personal trainer, etc. That isn't a priviledge I've currently got.

One thing I know that I have to do is handle all or most of the daily details myself…I wonder what details she handles and what she leaves to other people. Does she make the dental appointments? Decide which brand of toilet bowl cleaner is best?

Regardless, the woman must have mad skills, strategies and processes to get all this rolling smoothly through her life.

I’d love to see her calendar. Mine has all these pencil marks and eraser lines…it changes every morning depending upon what happens in my daily meeting. I’m struggling to menu plan and think ahead enough to plan the closet and fridge organization.

Women are busy in a way that they have never been. We are relied upon to be the keepers of the family stuff, regardless of whether we work outside the home.

So I wonder…how do YOU do it? What do you manage and how do you do it?

5 comments:

MaryC said...

When my girls were small, I worked full time. How does one do it all?
You don't. The house doesn't get dusted very often, the kids eat spagghetios more than they should, laundry piles up and the vacuum cleaner doesn't get used.
But if your kids get your time and are happy - who cares?
If you get a date with your spouse every now and then - the stains in the sink aren't important.
When time goes by, no one, including your kids, talks about how clean the house was. They talk about the trips to the park, the funny happenings and the love.
I promise.

Sarabeth Hudson said...

I agree with maryc! Kudos to working moms for trying to make it all work with that much less time because I stay at home and still can't seem to get it all done. I have a cross-stitch on my wall that says: "Cleaning and scrubbing can wait 'til tomorrow, for children grow up we've learned to our sorrow. So quiet down cobwebs and dust go to sleep. I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep." So I don't exercise as much as I should. Don't eat quite as healthy as I should. Don't clean as much as the TV and the magazines make us feel like we should. Even sometimes don't wash my hair as much as I should (don't tell anyone ;) ). I do all these things to an extent to try to show my kids these things are part of life, but I'd rather spend half an hour cuddling with my kids on the couch with a book or even a TV show than do just about anything else. And that is how I do (or maybe better put - don't) do it!

I did however just spend 2 days scrubbing my house in anticipation of my in-laws coming so that it looks like I do it just like the magazines :)

Ericka said...

this is a BIG struggle for me...I WANT to be supermom and do it all but I get do dang worn out and grumpy!! I say that my once a week cleaning has to be enough, the family is way more important than a perfect house or "things". I do the best I can do and try to remember that the condition of my heart says more about me than the house, clothes, makeup, hobbies. great ?. :)

Gina said...

First, give yourself a huge beautiful mountain of grace. If you see someone that seems to have it ALL together, I promise you somewhere, something is not 100%. Most days I think you can just pray to hit the most important parts and not forget at least those things that matter most. Our sermon (which I posted a little on) this weekend touched on letting go of those things (treasures) that don't matter (Matt. 6) and I am hoping to strive to live that out with my time as well . I spend so much time on things that don't matter when we've convinced ourselves as a society that they are important. Mary has a great point. It's so hard to let that house go a little but sometimes it truly is a must. Yikes -- I've got to work on giving myself some of that grace too! : )

April Driggers said...

I think she's probably on crack... or popping Lexapro like they're tic tacs. Perhaps she's the sole source of Starbuck's wealth -- not because she owns it just that she's over caffinated.

Do you know that doesn't "do" e-mail either? She likes hand written letters.

I'll bet she gets a LOT more help than she's letting on because otherwise she's freakin Martha Stewart on CRACK! and that's just not possible to do without being a complete bi#ch... there's just no way. :) NO WAY unless she can get by on like 2 hours of sleep a day.