Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Back to Basics

I’ve been watching Ali Edwards Words and Photos series and it has generated lots of thinking on my part.

Yesterday, Ali's post was about getting back to the basics of scrapbooking – just photos and words and no other embellishment.

This concept set my brain on fire – not just for scrapbooking but for LIFE.

Here’s why: What would happen in my world if I got rid of the embellishment and got back to basics?

First of all, I’d have to do some serious filtering to determine what is “basic” and what is “embellishment.”

What can I live without? TV, sugar, scrapbook shopping (at least for awhile), magazines...

What are my basics? God, Scott, Jay, family, friends, work…my list of “things to do” takes on a very different look and feel if I focus on the basics.

By working through this, life becomes simple on purpose. When I stop trying to keep up, fit in, look just so, make the mark, my life really takes on a more comfortable feel.

Perhaps the most profound thing about it all is the reality that simple is better. SIMPLE IS BETTER.

A more complicated question becomes, how do I do this? Where do I start?

I suppose like the Nike ad says, “Just Do It.”

And I think that in some respect we already have…by making some decisions about our financial future together, Scott and I have already started this process…we want out of debt. That is a simple thing. It requires simple measures practiced regularly to accomplish.

Wait….lightbulb….there is the key.

It requires simple measures practiced regularly to accomplish.

This dovetails so nicely into my commitment to renewal this year.

By the way – renewal, rebirth – it’s a painful process. If you think about birth without the drugs, you get the idea.

If I renew without the “drugs” of TV and credit cards and keeping up so I can feel like I fit in, well…it can be a painful process!

Some time back I posted some things we had learned in a marriage conference . There was a series of phrases that I picked up that I still keep in front of me to be conscious of renewal and conscious simplicity:

Start where you are.
Use what you have.
Do what you can.
Remember who you are.
Be intentional

And practice simple measures regularly.

Peace ya’ll!

1 comment:

MaryC said...

Good things to remember, Felecia.