Pages

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Appreciation

Today, I decided to be appreciative of all of the things in my life that I take for granted every day.

I started my day by deciding to thank God for each thing as I touch it, use it, engage in it…you get the idea.

I started by thanking God for my lungs that breathe, my eyes that see, my feet and legs that work (they are sore from working out, but they WORK!), my hands that touch and feel.

When I was actually vertical, I thanked God for my husband sleeping peacefully beside me and my little fuzz ball dog for teaching me what true love and adoration are all about. (I often think I should be with God like my dog is with me…happy constantly to see Him, always willing to sit in His lap, willing to receive my discipline from Him, following His commands, willing to receive any and all love from Him, and always, always, always adoring and devoted to Him.)

Making breakfast, I thanked God that I can open a cupboard full of food in a strong and sheltering house and choose a nourishing fresh breakfast, the ingredients of which were purchased at an air-conditioned, clean, friendly store just ½ a block away. I thanked God for my indoor plumbing and hot water heater so that I could have a clean shower and for my money that allows me to purchase pleasantly scented soaps and lotions.

I thanked God for my privilege that allows me to have colored hair done by a professionally trained stylist. I thanked God for electricity in my sturdy home so that I could dry and curl my hair.

There was thanks given for my smooth-running new car that takes me on well-paved roads full of other new cars and people on their way to jobs, all part of Gods great blessings on the USA. I thanked God for the radio in my car and the skills and talents of the musicians who’s music I listen to and for all the other blessings in their lives that make it possible for them to make recordings.

I thanked God that I have a well-paying job at a stable company, that I work with pleasant and intelligent people doing work I like and that I receive blessings from it continually. God received thanks for my computer, that allows me to do much with little time and effort…I am SO thankful I’m not doing this with a pen and paper or a chisel and stone.

So far today, I’ve thanked God and given Him praise for LOTS of things that I breeze by every day, that I get irritated by every day. Nothing is bad when it is viewed as a blessing.

I’m taking this theme throughout the day today and perhaps further. I do not want it to be a chore or rote, my thanks to God for these things. I’m going to continue to do this with an appreciation and awe of all that I have been given and with a heart to share my blessings as often as possible.

I want to have the heart of a giver, and to do that, I must recognize my immense blessings, whether I abase or abound.

Have a FABULOUS, BLESSED, and APPRECIATIVE day!

1 comment:

amazing grace said...

Very inspiring---there is so much to be thankful for--isn't there? It's so easy to get caught up in just "expecting" things and forgetting WHO gives us the things we truly need. loved reading your post!

by the way.....I am a true flip flop girl!!!! LOVED your last post...and am thankful for flip-flops!!!! :)